Someone asked me if I am a huge football fan is that why I do these weekly game day recipes? Yes I am a fan but I also am a fan of my son and patriotslife.com the blog he is involved in. I would do it for CelticsLife.com but I just can’t come up with that many recipes, beside the schedule would kill me or I would be 900 Lbs., anyway……
Meat and potatoes a man’s meal, a football man’s meal, a meal that will satisfy any half time hunger.
Now grab that pastry bag or a plastic bag, stuff it with mash potatoes and start decorating the top of your meatloaf cupcakes. What you’re unsure of your manliness, afraid of a little Dolphin treatment in the living room? We all know that when watching a football game we live by a different set of rules.
- 1 1/4 lbs. extra-lean ground beef (4% fat or less)
- 1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute or egg whites
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. each salt and black pepper
- 20 oz. (about 3 medium) white potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 1/2 tbsp. light sour cream
- 1 1/2 tbsp. light whipped butter or light buttery spread
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. paprika
- Optional seasoning: black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with foil baking cups, or spray it with nonstick spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine all meatloaf ingredients. Thoroughly mix.
3. Evenly distribute meatloaf mixture among the muffin cups, and smooth out the tops with the back of a spoon. Bake until firm and cooked through with lightly browned edges, 20 – 25 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes, and once returned to a boil, reduce heat to medium. Cook until very tender, 15 – 20 minutes.
5. Drain and transfer potatoes to a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients for mashies except paprika. Thoroughly mash and mix.
6. Evenly top mini meatloaves with mashies, and sprinkle with paprika. Makes six servings; two cupcakes per serving. Eat up!
HG Tip! Use a piping bag to distribute the mashies. You can even create your own makeshift piping bag! Just transfer mashies to a plastic bag, and squeeze them down toward a bottom corner. Snip off that corner with scissors, creating a small hole for piping. Ta-da!
Serving Size: 2 meatloaf cupcakes – Steve says: Ya right, these are poppers .
This recipe was from hungry-girl.com
For further inspiration, Hungry Girl just released her official “Top Ate” reasons to love potatoes:
- Potatoes are seriously satisfying! A study of nearly 40 common foods found that potatoes deliver the most satisfaction.
- A 5.3-ounce skin-on spud (the size of a computer mouse) has 45% the daily value of vitamin C and only 110 fat-free calories. Potatoes also have fiber.
- Dining out? Top a plain baked potato with salad-bar goodies like broccoli & salsa.
- White veggies are underrated and provide key nutrients we need. In fact, potatoes have even more potassium than bananas.
- Gluten-free alert: Potatoes are a great alternative to pasta and bread. You can even make lasagna with spud slices instead of noodles, Lillien adds.
- Russets, reds, purples, fingerlings, yellows, whites & petites… So many possibilities!
- HG Lisa’s favorite way to eat a potato? Twice-baked, stuffed with light cheese and veggies.
- Potatoes are ALWAYS in season. “Put ’em on your grocery list today,” she says.
Thanks hungry girl even more reason to eat a manly potato.
- Southwest Mini Meatloaf (Stevesacooking.com)
- Tex Mex Meatloaf (Stevesacooking.com)
- Meatloaf 101 (Stevesacooking.com)