OK The frost was coming, the frost was coming, and I am plighted with having my garden in the only space available which does not getting full sun in late summer and early fall. even with the warm fall I had over 5 lbs. of green unripen tomatoes. They are fine to eat fired, in stew whatever I chose Sala, spicy salsa.
YIELD 8 pints
- 5 lbs. green tomatoes, chopped small (as you prefer for salsa)
- 6 yellow onions, chopped (4 cups)
- 3 jalapenos, chopped with seeds (1/2 cup)
- 4 large red bell peppers, chopped (2 cups)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (optional, to taste)
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar
Combine everything in a large pot, mixing well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, and cook for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
To continue canning, bring salsa to a boil.
Ladle salsa into hot sterile jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe lids and jar edges clean before finger tightening lids and placing them back in the boiling canning pot.
Process (boil) jars for 15 minutes. Make sure the cans are covered by water.
Remove carefully and let sit for 24 hours. Check lids for seal, and refrigerate any unsealed jars.