I love French fires but all that oil gets to my stomach so I was always looking for an alternative. Rachel Ray gave me the idea I just change it up depending on what else I am cooking. Might as well make them complement my main meal right?
- 3 medium russet potatoes washed, scrubbed and dried.
- I have used sweet potatoes are good but they do not keep their firmness.
- You can use any potato you want, some will work some won’t.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Here is where you can change it up, choose
- A few twist of fresh ground pepper to taste or
- Herbs de Provence or
- Crushed Rosemary, Basil and Thyme or
- Vinegar salt or
- Cayenne or
- I think you get the idea, endless
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Leaving peel on, cut the potatoes lengthwise, about 3/4-inch to 1-inch wide. Combine the potatoes, oil, salt and your choice of herbs on the baking sheet and toss to combine. Arrange the potatoes on a baking sheet in a single layer, but evenly spaced so the potatoes aren’t touching. Bake until golden brown and cooked through, about 30 minutes turning over about ¾ through. I have read some recipes that say that if the skin side is on bottom last they come out better but I just spread, bake and turn.