Another vacation past and enjoyed the escape. On one segment of the trip we went to the Strawberry Banke, during our 2 day visit to the Portsmouth area we found that all roads lead to this place I had never heard about it but was on Lyn’s bucket list. One of the things we both enjoy is going to a cooking class at the Stonewall Kitchens in York Maine this time they had a “This is gluten free? class. Enjoyed the personable touch of Chef Patty Roche and shared that neither of us enjoy the art of baking…too measured I said and we both nodded in full agreement. There were a few things for this class will mention stonewall kitchen in each title. This is more for me than anyone.
Fantastic, flavorful dishes that just happen to be gluten free.
- Thai Beef Salad with Grilled Sirloin Steak, Chinese Cabbage, Red Peppers and Cilantro
- Marinated Pork Tenderloin in Maple Tamari Sauce Served with Steamed Rice
- Marinated Grilled Summer Veggies
- Orange Almond Cake with Fresh Oranges in Toffee Syrup
This picture was taken from net not the actual dish we were served. But looks close
- 2 Oz Rice vermicelli
- 1 Lb Sirloin Steak
- Sesame oil
- 1 whole kaffir lime leaf, middle discarded and finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped Vietnamese mint
- 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 short cucumber, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- A carrot, cut into match sticks
- 2 oz. snow peas, cut into match sticks
- ¼ small red pepper ( Thai bird chili), finely diced
- 1/4 small Chinese cabbage (Napa)
- 1 small handful of bean sprouts
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- ¼ cup unsalted, roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup peanut oil
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp crushed chili
- Juice of one lime
- 2 tsp superfine sugar.
Soak vermicelli – use package directions, drain and chop into shorter lengths
Brush steak with sesame oil and charbroil or pan fry over high heat until cooked to your liking. Rest steak for 10 minutes and slice thinly
Combine all the dressing ingredients, stirring to dissolve sugar, Pur the dessing over the saled , tos to coat and serve at room temperature.
Strawbery Banke Museum, in the heart of historic downtown Portsmouth, New Hampshire, is an authentic 10-acre outdoor history museum, listed on the National Register of Historic Places and dedicated to bringing 300+ years of American history to life.
Strawbery Banke is a place to learn about architecture, heritage plants and foodways, traditional crafts and the tools, clothing and collections people used for everyday life in the 1600s, 1700s, 1800s and up through 1954 when the site was saved from urban renewal.
The Museum is a place for children, adults, multigenerational families and groups to gather to explore heritage gardens, historic buildings and crafts, preservation programs, hands-on activities, the stories told by costumed role-players,traditional crafts and the changing exhibits that offer hours of fun and discovery. The Museum’s restored buildings and open space invite visitors to immerse themselves in the past.
Strawbery Banke is a sustainable place that preserves and enlivens three centuries of war and peace in the same New England waterfront neighborhood. Each year the Museum welcomes 75,000 visitors, members, schoolchildren and volunteers who love New Hampshire history for daily programs, exhibits and signature special events from May through December.