What was a Sunday dinner at Rose’s without meatballs? This is a dish that a pinch of and a handful of that really comes to play. A dish that my side of the family would kill for, a plate of pasta topped with some of Rose’s meatballs. Lyn and I used to sneak these into Dad when he was in the hospital. Well this was my first try and Lyn says I did ok. You really have to make these every week so you get it down. But then I would be 900 lbs. Quick easy but soooooo good.
I must first say we will probably never be able to master what she did but practice is a lot of fun.
- 2 lbs. of ground sirloin I used 93% lean
- 4 eggs – 2 per lbs
- About 3 handfuls of seasons bread crumbs, each handful was about 1/4 cup
- About a tablespoon or dried parsley (about a table spoon)
- About 1/3 cup grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
- About a table spoon of dried basil (about a table spoon)
- A couple of teaspoon of garlic powder
- About a tablespoon of onion powder
- 1 tsp. Salt and fresh ground pepper
Preheat oven to 350◦
Line a backing sheet with high sides with tin foil and drizzle with then and spread olive oil
Mix all ingredients together thoroughly. Using a medium ice cream scoop, scoop out and shape into 2” balls. (Approximately) and line the pan with meatballs leaving a little space between each. Bake for about 20-30 minutes, checking after 30 minutes. The will be firm but not too firm. You can place sauce until ready to serve.
Note: for Xmas I put in sauce and let them simmer with the sauce they came out very moist and as Lyn said melted in your mouth.