What was a Sunday dinner at Rose’s without meatballs? This is a dish that a pinch of and a handful of that really comes to play. A dish that my side of the family would kill for, a plate of pasta topped with some of Rose’s meatballs. You really have to make these every week so you get it down. But then I would be 900 lbs. Quick easy but soooooo good.
This is my take of her recipe.
- 2 lbs. of ground sirloin I used 93% lean
- 3-4 eggs – 2 per lbs
- About 1.5 handfuls of seasons bread crumbs and 1.5 handful of oat bran, each handful was about 1/4 cup
- splash of milk maybe around 1/4 cup
- Heaping tablespoon or dried parsley
- About 1/3 cup grated parmigiana Reggiano cheese
- Heaping tablespoon of dried basil
- A couple of teaspoon of garlic powder
- About a tablespoon of onion powder
- 1 tsp. Salt and fresh ground pepper if you want a spicy meatball either use more pepper or add 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
Preheat oven to 350◦
Line a backing sheet with high sides with tin foil and drizzle with then and spread olive oil
in large bowl mix bread crumb and oat bran with milk let sit for 3-5 minutes
now mix all other ingredients together thoroughly. Using a medium ice cream scoop, scoop out and shape into 2” balls. (Approximately) and line the pan with meatballs leaving a little space between each.
Hint: I always have a small bowl with some olive oil in it to keep dipping my hand in it for when I form the meatballs
Convection Bake for about 15-30 minutes, checking after 20 minutes. The will be firm but not too firm. You can place sauce until ready to serve. if you want check with instant thermometer temp 138ish
Note: I think when going to serve that putting in sauce and let them simmer with the sauce make them come out very moist and as Lyn said melted in your mouth.