We’re doing a fast track Dukan diet and today is a beef and veggie day so I used up some stew beef (well trimmed of fat) and a small butternut squash and made some chili.
• 1 1/2 pounds stew beef, cut into 1-inch chunks
• Kosher salt and pepper
• 6 teaspoons olive oil
• 1 medium red onion, chopped
• 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
• 1 to 2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
• 2 teaspoons dried oregano
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon ground coriander
• 2 tablespoons fine corn meal
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• 1 small butternut squash cut into chunks – have use pinto beans maybe 2 cans
Salt and pepper to taste after cooked and I added a dash or two of Worcestershire sauce
- Season the beef with salt and pepper. Turn Instant Pot to sauté with 2 teaspoons vegetable oil; sear the beef in two batches, adding up to 2 teaspoons more olive oil, until browned on all sides, 4 to 6 minutes per batch. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, transfer the beef to a plate as it browns.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pot; add the onion, red pepper and garlic. Cook, stirring, until onion is soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the cocoa, chili powder, oregano, cumin and coriander; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add butternut squash. Add the corn meal and tomato paste and cook until the tomato paste sticks to bottom and caramelizes, about 2 minutes. Stir in 6 cups water, scraping tomato paste from bottom of pan. Add the reserved beef and turn instant pot to slow cooker about 4 hours
Nice turn on the traditional recipes. Love butternut squash. Worth a try. Thanks.
Pingback: Beef and Butternut Squash Chili — Gourmet Dad, Don’t Let The Title Fool You | My Meals are on Wheels