I usually make Halftime White Turkey Chili and today the day after a 65 degree day I had to go out and snow plow the 8 inches. Got to love new England. I had just received a Buthcer Box shipment
Anyway I did not have everything so I kind of adlibbed.
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds ground turkey breast — mine was frozen so I cut it in chuncks
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 jar of salsa
- Lyn had some left over diced tomatoes maybe 1 1/2 cups
- maybe 1/8 cup hot sauce
- 2-3 TBS of low fod taco season
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked Great Northern beans, drained
Heat 1/2 tablespoon of the oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add turkey and cook, stirring often, until browned. Transfer to a bowl and return pot to heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, bell pepper and onion and cook until softened and golden brown. Return turkey to pot and add coriander, cumin, oregano and salt. Stir well to combine. Add bay leaf, tomatoes mixed and broth, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 45 to 50 minutes. Gently stir in beans and cook for 30 minutes more.
Came out pretty good but I feel the turkey would have been more tender if was fully defrosted.
Hey Lyn how was the Chili? She said very good.