Lyn and Maria (Niece that is living with us) are on an anti-inflammatory kick so being their chief cook and bottle washer I made them this chicken Pho soup from woman’s Day which Ly used to gently hint what she wanted for dinner. It was Thursday which is chicken dinner day after all. Personally I can’t stand the smell of fish sauce, but it does add great flavor. Don’t tell them I held my nose and only used half of what it called for while putting it in.
- 4 whole star anise
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 small cinnamon stick smashed Steve Note: they were all the same size how the heck do I in know if it was small 😊
- 1 tsp coriander seed crushed
- ½ tsp black peppercorns
- A 2” piece of ginger quartered then smashed
- ½ red onion, coarsely chopped
- ½ Fuji apple Steve Note: I only had honey crisp
- 1 ½ lbs bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed and discarded
- 2 TBS fish sauce divided into 1TBS
- 3 oz instant rice noodles
- 5 cups of water
- Bean sprouts, sliced red chili and red onion, mint or cilantro and lime wedges for serving.
- Press Sauté on instant Pot and add spices and cook stirring occasionally, until fragrant 3-4 minutes
- Add ginger and chopped onions and cook stirring occasionally 4 minutes
- Add apple, chicken, 5 cups of water. And 1 TBS of fish sauce cover and cook on high pressure for 22 minutes.
- Let release naturally, then release any remaining pressure and open lid
- Transfer chicken to plate. Strain broth discarding and remaining solids.
- Return the broth to the pot and add noodles and let sit until tender 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile shred chicken discarding bones return to pot and stir in remaining Tbsp of fish sauce.
- Serve with desired toppings.