Here is a variation of something I made a while back with a twist when it comes to the breadcrumbs. I think it is a healthier offering.
I’ve done with corn flakes, potato chips, panko and regular bread crumbs from package or home made and probably a few others.
Variation of Crunchy oven fired chicken Published September 1, 2008. From Cook’s Illustrated.
This is very similar to how I do my chicken cutlets either pan-fried or baked minus a few ingredients.
To prevent overcooking, buy fish fillets at least 1 inch thick. The bread crumbs can be made up to 3 days in advance, cooled, and stored at room temperature in an airtight container. Serve with Sweet and Tangy Tartar Sauce (see related recipe) or lemon wedges. Steve tweak: If you have a skinny end of the fish you can always fold under to make it about the same thickness as the other so it cooks evenly.
- About 2 cups of brown rice cereal – similar to Rice Krispies. Crunched up
- 1/4 cup plus 5 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour Steve tweak: Whole wheat bread
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish (optional) Steve tweak: optional? Not in my opinion
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 1/4 pounds skinless cod fillet , or haddock fillet, or other thick white fish fillet (1 to 1 1/2 inches thick), cut into 3-4 pieces
- Lemon wedges
- Place the brown rice Krispies in a plastic bag, let air out, take a rolling pin and roll over until most are crunched and palace in a pie plate.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place 1/4 cup flour in second pie plate.
- In third pie plate, whisk eggs, horseradish (if using), mayonnaise, paprika, cayenne pepper (if using), and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper until combined; whisk in remaining 5 tablespoons flour until smooth.
- Spray wire rack with nonstick cooking spray and place in rimmed baking sheet. Dry fish thoroughly with paper towels and season with salt and pepper (optional but recommended to personal taste.) Dredge 1 fillet in flour; shake off excess. Using hands, coat with egg mixture. Coat all sides of fillet with bread crumb mixture, pressing gently so that thick layer of crumbs adheres to fish. Transfer breaded fish to wire rack. Repeat with remaining 3 fillets.
- Bake fish until instant-read thermometer inserted into centers of fillets registers 140 degrees, 18 to 25 minutes. Using thin spatula, transfer fillets to individual plates and serve immediately with lemon wedges.
Note: I have tried this type of rack and a very fine mesh rack, I feel the very fine mesh works much better.