Lyn showed me this recipe, I think it was planned because she bought a head of Frisee when we went shopping. She also had Maria grab a few oranges while she was out, Then left the recipe out. It was very good in fact with the left over she added some Anise, and Red Grapefruit chunks instead of the orange. Both were good.
The hazelnuts add crunch to this citrusy salad.
Servings: 4 Martha Stewart
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 seedless oranges, pith and peel removed
- 1 medium head frisee
- 1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Step 1In a medium bowl, whisk together orange juice, vinegar, zest, cardamom, ginger, mustard seeds, salt, and pepper. Slowly whisk in olive oil until combined, and set aside.
- Step 2Slice oranges thinly, crosswise, and arrange slices on 4 salad plates; set aside. Place frisee in a large bowl, and toss with the dressing. Divide frisee among 4 salad plates, and sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts. Serve immediately.
To remove the pith and peel from an orange, first slice off the stem and flower end. Place the orange cut-side down,