From Eating Well
Lyn and Maria wanted to go on a Anti-Inflammatory so they threw a book and different websites in front of me as a hint and ideas. It looks like much like Mediterranean diet so grazing through the web site Lyn gave me I saw this and it looked good. I had to make a few substitutions because I did not have some items which I’ll note below. We loved the nice red pepper flake heat in this recipe.
Bright-green Castelvetrano olives hail from Sicily and have a buttery flavor and meaty texture that pair perfectly with the Italian seasoning and salty capers in this one-skillet chicken dinner. Look for them on your supermarket olive bar or in jars with Italian ingredients.
Active: 25 mins
Total: 45 mins
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided Steve Note: into 1/4 TSP
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 pounds), skin removed Steve Note: only had 3
- 1 pound yellow potatoes, diced
- 4 medium carrots, diced Steve Note: only used 2
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved Steve Note: only had about a cup
- ½ cup dry white wine Steve Note: We finished our last bottle of white wine the other day so I used white cooking wine.
- ¼ cup Castelvetrano olives, quartered Steve Note: used half a small can of sliced black olives
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish Steve Note: whoops forgot to grab some from the deck but it’s only for garnish
- Step 1 Mash garlic with 1/4 teaspoon salt with a fork to form a paste. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in 1 tablespoon oil, Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper.
- Step 2 Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned on both sides, 6 to 8 minutes total. Transfer the chicken to a plate and top with the garlic mixture.
- Step 3 Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in the pan over medium heat. Add potatoes and carrots and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to brown and stick to the pan, 6 to 8 minutes. Add tomatoes, wine, olives and capers; cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits, for 1 minute. Nestle the chicken into the pan, cover and cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part without touching the bone registers 165 degrees F, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve garnished with parsley, if desired.
1 chicken thigh & 1 cup vegetables
511 calories; protein 29.8g; carbohydrates 35g; dietary fiber 4.9g; sugars 4.9g; fat 27g; saturated fat 4.8g; cholesterol 92.1mg; vitamin a iu 10852IU; vitamin c 20mg; folate 35.7mcg; calcium 67.7mg; iron 3mg; magnesium 59.5mg; potassium 900.8mg; sodium 689.8mg.
3 1/2 fat, 3 1/2 lean protein, 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 starch