I thought it would be too dry, I thought I rather use pork, I thought I would go along with her. I think she was right. The Mangos gave you sweetness and the chipotle gave it that little heat. There were leftovers galore and my lunch salads taste mighty fine these last two days. The rest into the freezer for a quick defrost and eat meal at a later date.
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless boneless turkey breast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 sweet onions (such as Vidalia), thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chipotles in adobo, seeds removed, and chopped, plus 1 tablespoon sauce
- 2 mangoes, diced, or 2 cups frozen mango chunks, thawed set aside
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro set aside
Season turkey with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper.
Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Brown all sides of turkey, about 6 to 8 minutes. Set aside.
In the crock pot, stir tomato paste, brown sugar, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper into chicken broth. Add onions, garlic and chipotles. Place browned turkey on top. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
With 30 minutes remaining, add mango and re-cover.
Remove turkey, stir in cilantro.
When turkey is cool enough to handle using two forks pull /shred the turkey and return to crock pot, stir to mix and serve.
Wow, the sweetness and the spiciness strike a perfect balance. Super yummy! Thanks Steve!