Saturday was a rainy day and we had lots to do since we both work full time jobs our weekends are probably like yours weekends are for errands and you try to stick something fun in there. Today was movie day we were going to see Dark Shadows having grown up when it was on TV we were both looking forward to it. Well, we give it 2 stars but were basically disappointed. Anyway after the errands we were ready for something warming so I opened the frig and said what to do we have then I remembered that Lyn had torn out a chicken soup recipe so I took a glance and then did my own thing based on this ginger chicken noodle soup recipe from First for women 3/26/12. This was a quick prep and complete meal and good for leftover chicken based. I thought about adding a pinch of red-hot peppers but the ginger added just the right amount of spice, my version got the two heads bobbing of approval.
- 1 medium red bell pepper seeded and sliced
- 1 medium peeled and chopped Vidalia onion
- 2 cup sliced carrots (about 4 medium to larger)
- 1 Cup sliced celery
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 (1/4” thick) piece of fresh ginger peeled
- We keep slices in the freezer
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups cook chicken (had some left over)
- Kernels from two ears of corn maybe a 1 >1/2 cups
- ½ cup scallions
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- Star pasta – you can use any noodles you want we had these on hand.
In saucepan over medium heat cook peppers, carrots and onions in oil for about 3 minutes until tender but still crisp, stirring occasionally.
Add ginger and broth increase heat to high and bring to boil. Reduce to medium heat and simmer for 5 minutes then add the corn kernels and continue to simmer for another 5-7 minutes. Stir scallions and cilantro and let simmer for 2 more minutes. Discard ginger.
While this is simmering cook the star pasta as directed on box. We prefer to keep separate from soup so it does not absorb too much of the liquid.
Scoop some of the star pasts into bowl then some soup sit down and warm your soul.