The famed Moosewood Restaurant in Ithaca, N.Y., celebrated its 40th anniversary last year. The natural foods eatery has generated a dozen cookbooks. Dishes like the colorful kale slaw featured here have kept Moosewood going through the decades. (Click here to see the recipe.)
This fresh vegetarian dish – which can be pulled together in about 30 minutes – is both sweet and tangy. It combines several foods that are good for you: kale, apples, greens, carrots, and celery.
Our fruity Arbequina would be perfect for preparing the fresh orange and lemon juice dressing, which also features apple cider vinegar.
The recipe appears in Moosewood’s latest cookbook, Moosewood Restaurant Favorites (St. Martin’s Griffin, 2013). The book walks you through the steps for prepping the slaw.
“Several of the vegetables are described as shredded, by the that sometimes we mean shredded with a hand grater and sometimes shredded with a sharp knife,” the book notes. “It could get confusing, so we give you specific instructions for prepping the vegetables.” (Click here to see the recipe.)
The slaw can be served immediately. Letting it sit “intensifies” the sweetness. The dish will keep in the fridge two or three days.
Bon appétit, California Olive Ranch Master Miller Bob Singletary
Salads and Dressings
Confetti Kale Slaw
Recipe courtesy of Moosewood Restaurant Favorites (St. Martin’s Griffin, 2013), by the Moosewood Collective
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 large ﬁrm apple, shredded (1-2 cups)
- 1 cup shredded green or red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup minced celery
- ¼ cup minced scallions
- 3 cups shredded kale, packed
- To make dressing: Whisk together orange juice, lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and black pepper in a large bowl.
- Prepare apple and vegetables and place them in the bowl as you go: Peel the apple or don’t, and shred it on large-holed side of a hand grater. To prevent apples from discoloring, toss well with dressing.
- Thinly slice cabbage and cut across the slices about every inch. Peel carrots and shred on large-holed side of a hand grater. Mince celery. Mince scallions.
- To shred kale: Rinse kale leaves and shake off excess water. Strip leaves from large stems and pile on a chopping board. Gather kale into a compact mass and thinly slice it. Then cut down across slices, chopping kale into 1- to 2- inch pieces. Go after larger pieces of kale that got away from you when you were slicing it.
- Add shredded kale to bowl and toss well. Delicious served right away, but the sweetness intensifies as it sits. This slaw will keep in the refrigerator two to three.
I made this over the weekend. it came out great, but true to form, it was even better the second day.