So I came home and on the counter was an old yellowed recipe that we haven’t seen for years. Lyn was having a craving and laid out the dish, box of lasagna pasta and had already prepared the spinach and broccoli. This is an interesting recipe everything but the initial pasta cooking is made in the microwave. You can tell the age by the one step that was rotate pan half way through, if you remember way back there was either no tray and it never rotated during cooking.
6-9 lasagna noodles
2 carrots shredded
1 small onion chopped –Steve Note: I used red I had half of one left over
1 red or green pepper, cut into thin strips
10 ounce of frozen chopped broccoli or spinach thawed and drained. Steve Note: Lyn had prepared a combo of each but used fresh.
I added 4 mushrooms sliced.
1/2 tsp of salt
15 ounce container of ricotta cheese
Optional 1 egg beaten Steve Note: like to add this to ricotta binds it together.
2 cups of shredded Fontina, Swiss or other cheese. Steve Note: Did not have enough mozzarella or provolone so I grabbed a stick of cheddar and shredded it. BTW take minutes and is way cheaper than buying already shredded. The cheddar turned out a nice choice went well with the veggies.
Lyn’s pasta sauce Steve Note: The recipe did not call for but I put small amount on bottom and top (before the last topping of cheese).
- Prepare noodles conventionally as package directs; drain, separate and set aside.
- in 12×8″ backing dish cook carrots, onion and pepper covered on high 6-8 minutes until tender-crisp stirring half way through. Spoon into bowl and add broccoli. In separate bowl combine egg, and salt and a real good pinch of dried basil.
- thin layer in baking dish then top with three noodles. top that with half the ricotta cheese mixture and top that with 1/3 veggie mixture then 1/3 shredded cheese.
- Repeat except except set aside the shredded cheese
- Cook covered on high for 7-10 minutes until hot through
- Sprinkle remain cheese cook 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted
- Let stand for 10 minutes and serve
Makes 8 servings