Another simple recipe that was pretty good.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 12 balls
Serving Size: 4
This healthy gluten-free version of baked turkey meatballs uses oats instead of breadcrumbs. It’s a great easy spin on a classic Italian meatball recipe.
- 1 1/4 pound ground dark meat turkey or chicken
- 1 extra large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/3 cup grated aged parmesan cheese
- ½ cup gluten-free oats
- 2 cups tomato sauce (preferably homemade, oh Lyn could you make up a batch of your sauce?)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey or turkey, egg, tomato paste, olive oil, parsley, garlic, shallot, salt, paprika, chili flakes, and Parmesan.
In a small food processor, pulse the oats until coarsely ground. Add to the bowl. With clean hands, mix the turkey with the other ingredients until loosely combined. You don’t want to overly break up the meat.
Form the turkey into 2-inch balls (an ice cream scoop works well for portioning) and roll in your hands until round and smooth. Arrange the balls on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake in the oven until cooked through and beginning to brown on the bottom, about 20-25 minutes.
Toss the meatballs with your favorite tomato sauce and serve immediately.