A long time ago Lyn had me make this BBQ sauce with rhubarb, my initial reaction was a big question mark face. Strawberry Rhubarb pie now that’s a big yes, but BBQ sauce huh! She saw this in a canning book Once it started cooking the smell alone sold me. I found this online and it might be the exact recipe thanks Victoria
• 1 kg rhubarb (chopped. 2 quarts / 8 cups when sliced into 1/4 inch pieces. About 12 stalks)
• 250 g raisins (coarsely chopped. 1 1/2 cups after chopping. 8 oz)
• 100 g onion (medium-coarse chopped. 1/2 cup. 3 oz)
• 450 g brown sugar (3 1/2 cups loose packed / 1 lb)
• 125 ml white vinegar (5% acidity or higher. 1/2 cup / 4 oz)
• 1 teaspoon allspice (ground)
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
• 1 teaspoon ginger (ground)
• 1 teaspoon pickling salt
• 3 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh or bottled – for flavor only. Optional)
- Combine rhubarb, raisin, onion, sugar OR liquid stevia, and vinegar together in a large pot. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, uncovered. Let simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes till it breaks down into a coarse, relatively thick purée; you can use the back of your spoon to encourage it along.
- Add the allspice, cinnamon, ginger, salt OR salt sub, and lemon juice if using. Stir well to mix.
- Optional: purée to smooth in blender, put back in pot, reheat thoroughly. ( I did this)
- I made a smaller batch so did not bother canning it.